It was great fun during the last Art lesson of the term when we tried to reproduce an ancient Roman artefact seen during the last trip to the British Museum.
Children had to use a piece of terracotta air-drying clay to model a drop-like shape.
Then, they rolled some sausage-shaped strings to lay overlapping on the base.
They modelled it using some tools such as rolling pins, sculpting tools and a little water.
Finally, they decorated them.
Lamps needed to dry for around two days.
After that, children could test them at home using oil and kitchen paper for a wick…and I tested mine! It worked! Amazingly, the flame nourished by the oil, grew taller and taller. Just Fabulous!
If you try this at home, make sure to send us pics!