Theme 17 – Virtues of Learning
َفْضُل ْالِعْلِم َّالشرِعي
• To understand that the desire to learn is a special favour from
• To learn that religious knowledge makes us better people.
• To learn the value and status of people of knowledge.
In this theme, pupils will learn that: Seeking religious
knowledge is obligatory for every Muslim, be-cause knowledge
helps us to do good deeds. Those who seek knowledge will
become pious and draw closer to Allah. Knowledge helps us to
appreciate Allah’s creation, attributes and qualities.
Allah says: “Allah will raise you up, by many degrees , those of
you who believe and those who have been given knowledge.”
(58:11). “It is those of His servants who have knowledge who
stand in true awe of Allah.” (35:28).
• Reflect on the personalities of Muslim scholars’ e.g. Imam
Abu Hanifah, Al-Khwarizmi, Ibn Sina, Al Gahazzali – who
have had religious knowledge and worldly knowledge.
In this theme pupils will have learnt:
• When Allah wants to be good to someone, He gives him
the understanding of Islam.
• When a man dies, his deeds come to an end except for
three things: endowment charity, beneficial knowledge
and a pious child.
• Allah will raise up by many degrees those who believe and
those who have knowledge.
• We don’t discriminate against any religion or people that
belong to it